Custom Made Orthotics
What are Orthotics?
Orthotics are shoe insoles specifically designed to aid in the correction of any biomechanical – inadequacies of your feet or legs. They play a role in maintaining correct feet alignment and alter foot function by redistributing weight on your feet optimally. Orthotics also help to assist in joint positioning and improving alignment of lower limb and muscle function, thereby reducing stress on the feet and lower limbs which may help alleviate any pain and discomfort.
What can Orthotics help with?
Orthotics are commonly used by clinicians in the treatment and prevention of common foot problems such as:
- Flat feet (over pronated feet)
- Plantar Fasciitis or heel pain
- Stress Fractures in the lower extremities
- Shin splint’s
- Corns and callous
- Lower back, hip and knee pain (by altering foot biomechanics
Why see Modern Physiotherapy for your custom Orthotics?
Physiotherapists are trained in assessing, diagnosing and treating the musculoskeletal system in intricate details – the foot is not excluded. Often we refer our clients to fellow Podiatrists if custom made orthotics are required. To many, this exercise is expensive, time-consuming and inconvenient.
Modern Physiotherapy has recently partnered with The Orthotic Group, comprised of a multidisciplinary team (including Podiatrists).
This means their state of the art technology – GaitScan™ is available in OUR clinic. The GaitScan™ technology allows the therapists to scan and measure patient’s feet with extreme precision and accuracy in a functional and dynamic manner. We are then able to create a customized orthotic based on the outcomes, specifically tailored to your feet.
Thanks to our partners at The Orthotic Group, Modern Physiotherapy is able to offer high quality and accurate custom orthotics at a fraction of the price you would normally expect to pay – our goal is to make customized orthotics available AND affordable to everyone.
Pricing for Orthotics
$379 Full package, $250 to order another pair but must be made with first original order only.
All Types of Custom Foot Orthotics are covered in this one off price including dress, casual, specialty and sport orthotics. Each one coming in different styles and comfort options.
What is involved with an Orthotic assessment at Modern Physiotherapy?
There is a 4 step process to get your customized orthotic:
- Biomechanical assessment and Gait scan assessment: At Modern Physiotherapy, we will do a physical assessment of your lower limbs including the foot, ankle, knee and hip to determine any deficits or abnormalities that may be considered contributing factors. We then do a dynamic gait evaluation using the industry leading GaitScanTM system that analyzes and detects deficiencies in your biomechanics using 4096 sensors and a scan rate of 300Hz (frames per second). The use of a dynamic gait scan means that the digital cast that is created takes into considering your weight bearing changes compared to the traditional serial casting method used by many other practitioners. This superior method of customization means that the orthotic created for you will have a greater accuracy and comfort.
- Determining the appropriate type of orthotic: Based on the functional and dynamic gait findings in step 1, we will then create a custom orthotic insole tailored to optimize your needs.
- Orthotic fitting session: The average turnaround time for a custom orthotic to be made is 2 weeks. Once the orthotic has arrived in the clinic you will be invited back to ensure the orthotic fits comfortably in your shoe and providing the right amount of correction. Your physiotherapist will provide you instructions on how to use the orthotics and provide you advice on how to best ‘wear’ in your orthotics. This is important as, the correction with the orthotic can be quite dramatic for some people so a gradual and graded introduction will be required.
- Orthotics review consultation :Once you have worn your orthotics for a couple of weeks, your Physiotherapist should get you back to monitor and review your progress with the new orthotics. This is an opportunity for your physiotherapist to see how your body and feet are adapting to the corrections and where required, make any changes.
I think I might need Orthotics – what do I do now?
If you would like an assessment by one of our Physiotherapists to determine if you are suitable for an orthotic, you can book online or call (08) 6161 0690 to make an appointment time that suits you! If you have any further questions about custom Orthotics, please don’t hesitate to contact one of our Physiotherapists in the clinic.